Keeping Track of Joyful Moments

I had a conversation with a sister of mine recently about those ephemeral moments of joy and the happy accidents that come into our lives. These experiences briefly light up our lives like shooting stars darting across the night sky. Unfortunately, our attention returns far too quickly back to earth and the mundane routines that make up our daily lives. This conversation made me think about how I need to document those moments before they fade away entirely into oblivion. In the end, our lives are made up of "moments" and I want to remember the ones that made me smile.

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Listening to Jazz Music in Downtown Disney

I flew down to Southern California for some work meetings this week. I inadvertently made a reservation at a hotel a few minutes away from Disneyland. When I checked in, I saw a flyer listing the free shuttle schedule to Downtown Disney. I arrived just a few minutes before the 7:00 p.m. shuttle was about to leave so I thought, OK- why not?

As I was exploring all the shops and restaurants in Downtown Disney, I checked out the menu at a restaurant called the Jazz Kitchen. The food looked good so I thought, OK- why not?

I ended up being seated right next to the stage where a fabulous musician called Barbara Reed was singing and playing the piano. She was taking requests so I asked for something bluesy. Barbara complied by singing a song called "Hey Lady, Your Husband Is Cheatin' On Us." It was fabulous! I spent a pleasant hour there eating a great meal while listening to Barbara's music.

When I left Salt Lake City this morning, I never would have guessed this is how I would spend the evening. This is what happens when you go, OK- why not? A happy accident indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment